Friday, December 18, 2020

Re-Porter Blog: Star Wars The Force Awakens 5th Anniversary Special







Hey followers. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this difficult year and holiday season. Today is going to be a special post for several reasons. I wanted to talk a little bit about Star Wars although we are not getting a Star Wars movie in December this year (or the next 3 years for that matter). For those who don’t who (or do know but decided to not acknowledge it for...reasons), today marks the 5th anniversary of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. It was one of the many defining events of the past decade of pop culture and ushered in a new era for the beloved saga. I wanted to take this opportunity to express why I love this Star Wars film and why I have a love for this particular era of Star Wars. Now full disclaimer, I’m not oblivious to the climate of Star Wars fandom right now when it comes to these movies. I know that the sequel trilogy is pretty much destined to be labeled as the franchise bastard child for the next decade or two much to my sadness. I’m not looking for a debate on quality or minutiae, I’m not looking to be questioned whether I or anyone else is a real fan, a corporate shill, or an SJW, and I’m not looking to be the subject of some cynical “pop culture” expert’s psych evaluation because I like a certain piece of a series that he or she dislikes. If that is why you are here, sorry to say you will not find any of that in this post. Trust me, you have a plethora of options to experience that type of content on other platforms if that is what you are looking for. The TRUE goal of this post is to, like every other fan of this saga, express why these films and the stories told have meant so much to my personal Star Wars fandom. I apologize in advance for the length but let’s jump in.


Looking back on the hype leading up to The Force Awakens, my Star Wars fandom was strong but not like it is now. Star Wars: The Clone Wars came out at a time when my attention and passion was diverted elsewhere, the prequels appeal had severally faded as the trilogy's problems became more apparent, and my desire to dive into the series was regulated to just watching the original trilogy and not diving into comics and books. Throughout the film's promotional period, I was excited about it in every way, shape, or form. Meeting new characters who would soon become some of my favorites in the saga, seeing old friends who hadn't missed a step since we last saw them, fun humor, fast-paced action, dark and emotional moments, chill-inducing scenes that still resonate to this day, and just an overall good time at the movies. Once I experienced it for myself, the film lived up to my expectations of both being a fun and engaging Star Wars film and a terrific reentry point into the franchise. 



Once the film was over, I found myself so invested in where the story was potentially going and where the characters would go next. Credit goes to director JJ Abrams for delivering big-time despite initial hesitation about taking the job. To be totally honest and to his credit, I admire anyone who says yes to the task of doing a Star Wars movie given the huge amount of responsibility (and baggage) that comes with it. In Abrams' case, he would be either the craziest person alive to say that he will do a Star Wars movie or he'd be the craziest and dumbest person alive to turn it down knowing how much of a fan he is. Fortunately, he chose the former and did a hell of a job delivering a quality experience with a talented group of actors. 



Speaking of actors, how can I talk about this movie without acknowledging the incredible trio who brought characters into my life that are now among my favorites in the saga. John Boyega, Oscar Issac, and Daisy Ridley brought heart, humor, emotion, and swagger to this trilogy and created one the best trios I've seen since the original 3. John Boyega had star potential from the moment he came into the limelight and his connection to the fans made him an instant favorite. Oscar's veteran presence allowed him to bring prestige and charm to the role of Poe Dameron turning him into one of my favorite characters in Star Wars. As for Daisy, her quiet strength, humility, and megawatt smile lit up every room she was in making her a beacon of light for a new generation of female Star Wars fans. The characters they portray also leave a strong impact on me as well. Finn's journey from a man who wants to run to liberator for the oppressed is inspiring and powerful, Poe's journey is filled with valuable lessons about the distinct differences between leaders and heroes, and Rey's arc shows the importance of not being defined by who you share blood with and how your actions in the here and now will take you further than your name will. Rey, Finn, and Poe are characters I've had the pleasure of getting to know and connect with and I'm forever grateful to John, Oscar, and Daisy for gifting them to me. 


Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up BB-8. The lovable rolling droid who set the fandom on fire from the moment he rolled out at Star Wars Celebration 5 years ago. Rarely does a character come along that you love before the movie comes out and end up loving even more afterward? From how he talks, his movements, to this scene here...



BB-8 is a joy to watch and he instantly became one of my favorite droids in Star Wars. 





But if we're gonna talk about heroes, we gotta talk about villains as well. You wanna talk about making a freaking statement out of the gate, Kylo Ren did so within his first 3 minutes on screen. Adam Driver deserves all the credit in the world for delivering such a complex and layered antagonist and playing him with such intensity and physicality. Impulsive and violent when unfocused yet precise and unpredictable when calm and collected, Kylo Ren's inner instability makes you question his every move and motive. What makes him even more dangerous and threatening is that you don't know what he is going to do until it's already done. You can't read his face and you have no idea what his intentions are until the blood has spilled. A villain worthy of being in the conversation for sure as one of the best in the saga. 












The Force Awakens also gave me some of the most memorable moments of the saga. The birth of Finn and Poe's relationship via escape from the Star Destroyer is iconic in every sense of the word and has resulted in them becoming one of my all-time favorite duos in the saga. The friendship of Finn and Rey is sweet, emotional, and based on an understanding that they both want to find their place in the world. The sequence of resistance X-Wings flying over the waters of Takodana with John Williams Resistance March score blasting never fails to make me shiver with glee, Kylo Ren stopping the blaster bolt and Poe at the same time never fails to be awesome, Han and Chewie back on-screen are like the biggest hug ever for any Star Wars fans, the Jakku chase sequence with The Millennium Falcon, Rey's pulling the lightsaber to her, Finn's epic duel with the riot trooper and so many more make this a Star Wars movie I can't help but love. I could literally go on and on about how much this film means to me as it came at a time where I didn't think Star Wars would be as strong as it was back in my childhood. 





 I truly owe a lot to Episode 7 and its following installments for allowing me to do things Star Wars related I never thought of doing before. Over the course of the trilogy's run, my personal fandom started to grow and evolve. For the first time ever, I was actively looking to dive into stories outside of the movies. A practice I never considered doing in previous years. For the first time in my life, Star Wars could give me an unforgettable experience in places other than the theater. I credit it for motivating me to watch and be immersed in Star Wars Rebels which is now my favorite animated series in the saga. I went to Star Wars Weekends for the first time allowing me to mingle with fellow Star Wars fans, I read terrific novels and comics in the new canon some of which are among my favorites in the series, and I took a leap of faith and attended my first Star Wars Celebration and D23 Expo. These movies allowed me to get out of my comfort zone and connect with this franchise as I never have before. The Force Awakens wasn't my first step into a larger world. It was my first step into my re-entry and resurgent return as a Star Wars fan. Despite all of the discussions and debates about how everything went or should have gone, I hold these movies, their characters, and the stories that were told high as the best Star Wars trilogy since the Original. Each film changed how I will look at Star Wars down the road. Force Awakens showed me that the series can still be as relevant and impactful in this ever changing Hollywood landscape, The Last Jedi taught me to look deeper and never look at things from a surface level/face value perspective, and The Rise of Skywalker reminded me to quit sweating the intricacies and minute details and just be in the moment with the characters. All three may not be perfect, but they are among my favorites in the saga and will remain there for the foreseeable future. 









But as for Episode 7 and my connection with it, this movie brought Star Wars back into my life in a big way and I'm forever grateful for the memories it has given me. The fan I am now is due to this movie that had all odds stacked against it and became a generational lightning rod that introduced millions of people to a galaxy far, far away and welcomed older fans back into the fold. 5 years later, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a cinematic experience I cherish to this day that continues to thrill and excite me. A movie that proves to all that the force hasn't just awakened, it has never been stronger.  

No comments:

Post a Comment